St Andrew’s Church, Foston-on-the-Wolds
Many of Ferrey and Mennim’s church projects include a series of repairs to remedy issues found to be necessary during quinquennial inspections. St Andrew’s Church is a Grade II* church constructed in the 12-14th centuries but which was suffering water ingress, damp, stone decay amongst other issues. Ferrey and Mennim devised a phased series of works to remedy the defects which were then carried out as funds were granted. The repairs included:
- Recovering the tower roof in lead
- Repairs and re-building of the parapets.
- Major stone repairs and rebuilding of the tower facades including the eroded buttresses
- Stonework and stained glass repairs to the west window.
- Re-covering the roof using Westmorland slates.
- Removal of cement render and re-rending using lime render allowing the moisture within the wall to naturally regulate.
- Lowering of ground levels and increasing drainage around the building to reduce damp.
- Internal timber repairs including to the north aisle trusses.
The church is now stable and watertight again allowing it to continue safely in its ninth century of use by the village.
- Client: St Andrew’s Church, Foston-on-the-Wolds
- Category:Conservation, Heritage and Ecclesiastical
York based Conservation, Residential
and Ecclesiastical Architects.
Design with a difference
Ferrey and Mennim pursue a contemporary, timeless architecture, often within complex historic settings. Since 1922 we have worked with exceptional craftsmen from across Yorkshire and the North of England to create and restore buildings with carefully crafted, modern detail. We undertake work with skill, care and always with attention to the needs of our clients.
br>View all services
We have a wide range of skills and experience in our team that includes:
Andrew Boyce, ARB RIBA RIAS AABC is cathedral architect for St Magnus Cathedral and Hull Minster as well as over 150 churches. He joined Ferrey and Mennim in 1999 and now uses his specialist knowledge of buildings conservation to lead the team as Director.
Ian Hayton, BArch (Hons) DipArch MSc (Building Conservation) ARB AABC is an award winning architect with extensive experience in sustainable construction, conservation and in the education, SEN, residential and large-scale housing sectors. He is passionately committed to close consultation with clients and historic buildings.
In addition, Ferrey and Mennim are very ably assisted by our technical and office support staff.
Our Recent Work